Increasing household income through sale of cereals and pulses
- 5 farmer organizations supported to construct and equip 5 cereals stores with tarpaulin, moisture meters, weighing scale and tuktuks for ease transportation.
- Farmer members of 5 farmer organizations linked with home grown school meals programme and other structured market.
Alternative and high potential livelihood
RIDEP is working with farmers in improving household livelihoods through the following value chains which have not been fully exploited;
- Mango value chain
- Indigenous chicken value chain
- Goats value chain
- Honey value chain
Access to finance
Great per cent of the two target sub counties are peasant farmers whom mostly have no access to loans from formal institutions like banks due to terms and conditions that they are unable to meet. To address the gap RIDEP trains communities in Tharaka on table banking in their groups through which members can access loans with friendly terms and conditions,
Food and Nutritional Security
Tharaka North and Tharaka South- Counties are semi- arid region of Tharaka Nithi County. The two sub county suffer dare effects of climate change resulting for example reduced rainfalls. This leaves scores of household with unsecure food and nutrition.
RIDEP enhances the capacity of members of community to be resilience through the following;
- On site demonstration on soil and water conservation technologies for example, zai pits and terracing.
- Training members of community on farming methods that requires minimal water. For example multi storey gardening.
Training and demonstrations on cost effective water harvesting structures.
Tharaka has deprived environment as a result of both natural and human actions. The effects of deprived environment have negative result on food and nutrition and livelihood security.
RIDEP endeavours to conserve the environment through:
- Supporting community initiatives such as rising of tree nurseries. RIDEP support community groups through materials and equipment.
- Organising communal tree planting events
- Other development activities;
Water harvesting for household consumption